Just a 10 minute easy walk from The Hideout Tokyo there are 6 of the finest museums in all of Japan – they are located within the grand Ueno Park and are waiting for you to drop by anytime during your stay.
Generally considered to be the #1 museum in all of Japan, Tokyo National Museum is the oldest and largest museum in the whole country. With over 110,000 artifacts in their collection and over 100 of Japan’s official National Treasure items on display, Tokyo National Museum has something for everyone to be amazed by. Don’t miss it during your stay at THT. 10 minutes walk.
- Admission ticket: JPY 1,000 / Closed on Monday’s.
- Audio guide, signs and guidebooks in English are all available.
National Museum of Science and Nature
The National Museum of Science and Nature is one of Japan’s largest science museums – they have over 25,000 exhibits from dinosaurs to space exploration and everything in-between. The highlight is the incredible 360 degree theatre. A fantastic and fun way to spend a rainy day – borrow an umbrella from the front desk and walk there in just 11 minutes from The Hideout Tokyo.
- Admission ticket: JPY 650 / Closed on Monday’s.
- Guides, signs and displays are available in English.
A must visit for any art lover’s trip to Tokyo, this huge museum/gallery has no permanent exhibition but rather a constant stream of showcases by Japanese and international artists. Many exhibitions are free, others are paid – check the latest exhibitions schedule at the above link.
- Closed every 1st and 3rd Monday; be careful on national holidays. Ticket prices vary. Often free of charge.
- English availability varies depending upon current showcase – please check their webpage.
National Museum of Western Art
For those who fancy a taste of something other than Japanese one day, this museum has a broad showcase of exhibitions – mostly European artists. They have rotating showcases as well as visiting temporary exhibits, plus the building itself is a piece of modernist artwork and a designated World Heritage site for architecture.
- Closed Monday’s / JPY 500 admission fee
- English, Chinese and Korean Audio guides available
A smaller museum with older and contemporary exhibitions on a varied basis. Why not wonder past and see what they have during your stay nearby at The Hideout Tokyo? You might discover something incredible. Come back and tell our THT family staff what you found!
- No set closing schedule / Fees dependent upon current exhibit
- Limited English
Come and experience what Tokyo was like during the Meiji, Taisho to early Showa period – a must visit for history lovers who want to step back in time and visit faithfully recreated elements of “old Japan” long before robots and conveyor sushi. Our THT insider recommends the Shiamachi Museum as his top-tip out of the 6 museums listed here.
- JPY 300 entry / Closed Monday’s
- Limited English (to help you experience a really authentic old Japan!)